Kelp Talk

Why so poor?

• monterino by monterino

I know this region has a lot of kelp, but the kelp is sooooo small and the whole image is soooo blurry. I'll gladly rent a plane and spend a week getting MUCH better photos from San Diego to Eureka!!!

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday in response to monterino's comment.

Did you notice the date? The image was taken 2/21/2002? This kelp is all new to me, but from looking at dates I get the idea the summertime is when there are larger areas than other months of the year. Of course I could be wrong. But the ones I saw with large amts. were late summer in the CA images.

Posted

• kyleccav by kyleccav scientist

Good eye mistyfriday! We do see a strong seasonal cycle in kelp biomass, especially in central/northern California. Kelp generally reaches a maximum in late summer. A lot of kelp is then lost during the winter when storms cause large wave events, which rips the kelp out from the seafloor. The kelp then recovers during the spring/summer. That seasonal cycle does vary a lot by region though. That is one of the things we are investigating with this project!

Posted

• yshish by yshish

why does the kelp grow only close to the coast? what does it need there for growing?

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

I am no scientist, but I imagine it needs the sunlight for photosynthesis. Also it needs to anchor into the sea and branch as it grows up to 1-2 feet/day so it needs a place with the sun, right depth and temperature.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

thank you @mistyfriday, i imagine nearly the same as you:) but i wonder (and would appreciate) more detailed answer, ideally from a scientist.

Posted

• ajhaupt by ajhaupt scientist, translator

mistyfriday is right! The maximum depth of kelps is limited by light penetration for photosynthesis, so they are most often found in shallower waters along the coast. They also have a holdfast that they use to attach to the bottom and so require rocky or hard substrate. Temperature is also important: they prefer cooler temperatures. The other thing that kelps need since they grow so fast are high levels of nutrients, which is often correlated with colder temperatures.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

thank you very much @ajhaupt ,what about currents, could they be a problem for them?

Posted

• ajhaupt by ajhaupt scientist, translator

Hi yshish. Different types of kelps deal with currents and wave action differently. In the California images, we are mainly targeting Macrocystis pyrifera, which generally prefers calmer waters. However, in areas of really high wave exposure and surge another kelp called Nereocystis leutkeana will out compete Macrocystis because it can deal with high wave exposure better than Macrocystis.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

ok, thanks for your answers.

Posted