Kelp Talk

hashtagging

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Is it helpful to you for us to hashtag kelp in talk comments whenever we see it, or does our outline of the patches of kelp on the image give you the same information anyway? Which hashtags are most helpful to the work?

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to Shiphrah's comment.

As far as I know the comment hashtags are not included in results of any Zooniverse project. They're just helpful for Search. So when you want to load only images with algal bloom or with massive kelp or with impressive clouds or Dailyzoo candidates, you just type the proper hashtags into the text field and click on the Search; they should load. Actually, the Search doesn't work as supposed and not all of the tagged ones get loaded 😦

The Search function is the reason why we should use the most popular hashtags (listed on the left) but I don't think it is much helpful for the scientists. Personally, I just hashtag images I'd like to search myself in future 😃

(But I may be wrong about the whole thing).

Zuzi

Posted

• Shiphrah by Shiphrah

Thanks for the quick answer!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Actually, the science teams can and do make use of the hashtags sometimes! The hashtag system is going to be critical to half of the science that we do in our next release (Chimp & See), and scientists in several projects have mentioned that the hashtag data is extremely useful to them (most recently, as I recall, the Higgs Hunters team saying the absolutely wanted people to hashtag good #ocv events, even though marking them is the sole purpose of the project).

So, I would say, hashtag away unless you are told otherwise! 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish in response to DZM's comment.

OK, thanks for correcting me! Let's hashtag everything useful!😉

Posted