Kelp Talk

Project still alive?

• WEBs_in_space by WEBs_in_space

I had been away from FF for awhile and lately have done a few hundred images and there is very little kelp to be seen. There are also no participants or posts happening either, what gives?
    I would hate to see a relatively easy-to-do project go down.

Stay cool

Posted

• stopple by stopple

I'm wondering the same.

Posted

• Psaltriparus_minimus by Psaltriparus_minimus

I hadn't worked on it for a while either. I read something about a second grade teacher using the project with her class. I haven't marked any kelp today so far.

Posted

• yshish by yshish

I've checked the statistics and there still seems to be quite a regular activity 😃 The last month it's about 11 users and 3000 classifications per week. It is comparable to the activity we've got on Plankton Portal (even a bit better!). So I wouldn't worry about the project much.

But it seems that we've run out of the activated CAL data and we may run out of the TAS ones soon. I'll ask someone to make sure we have enough pictures to classify during the Christmas holidays.

Merry Christmas to everyone 😄 Hope to meet you on the board.

Posted

• jebyrnes by jebyrnes scientist

YES! Actually, some SUPER SUPER SUPER exciting news coming quite soon. Project is not only still alive, but about to take wings. Including new data and more.

Not to be too mysterious, but y'all have been AMAZING and helped us learn a lot not only about kelp (which we'll begin posting more about shortly), but about the peculiarities of interfacing with Landsat for citizen science. This has potentially opened up a huge window of opportunity, all thanks to the amazing work you've contributed!

Posted

So stay tuned!

Posted

• yshish by yshish

Ojajaj! Thanks a lot for the SUPER exciting news! 😃 Can't wait to get them.

In the meantime, lets finish the current images 😄

Posted

Indeed - also some thoughts on some things we'll be curious for y'all to look at that are beyond the scope of just classification. Issac Rosenthal, Kyle Cavanaugh, and I are at Adler this week to work towards the future. And data!!!

Posted